Wednesday 4 July 2018

My Time in the Sunshine

I feel like I'm getting back in the swing of blog writing and have been posting on Instagram regularly, look at me getting all on top of everything! I've noticed I have a couple of new followers, I'd like to say hello (waving), please leave me a comment so I can come back and say hi to you to if you have a blog, and please come and say hi on Instagram too if you have an account

Wow, the weather has been amazing here in our little piece of England, until today when the clouds came. A bit overcast, but perhaps can be welcomed as a break from the intense heat we've had (we're just not used to it). It's due to return by the weekend, though we could really do with some rain, perhaps during the night when we're all in bed.

We've been eating outside and I think salad has become a staple in our diets, it's just been too hot to spend too much time in the kitchen. It helps that we have our own cucumbers from the greenhouse to add to them



I've been spending an hour or two reading in the garden on the days we don't have Zackary (impossible to do on a Zack day, far too much playing for us to do). I'll do a separate post about the books I've been reading recently on another day




A tub of sunshine, these Marigolds are really coming into their own now and are good for keeping little midges at bay as they don't like their scent.



This clump of Californian Poppies are from last year's crop, they just appeared at the side of our pond and look lovely they way they've naturally sprung up next to it. I may have to keep my eye on them next year though, don't want them to take over the area. I love watching how they change through the day, slowly closing in their petals as the day wears on.



The city centre looks quite beautiful in the sunshine too. This photo looks like it has a little statue of a child playing in the fountains, as lovely an idea as I think that would be, it's even better to watch the real children running back and forth and screaming with joy as the fountains change their patterns and soak them.


 There are seats all around too, and I you can see people smiling as they watch and listen to the little ones running about.



It's been so hot that the garden pond has needed topping up as it's level got lower and lower. We use water from the water butt as it's the closest type to what's already in the pond. It's a good job it's only a small pond!


I hope everyone else has been enjoying this glorious weather, I know it can get a bit much at times and we're just not used to it. I have felt sorry for Alfie and Honey with their thick coats (Gary's less dense, smooth white coat means he can enjoy the heat a little more). We put ice cubes in their water to help them keep cool and they sit in the shade away from the hot sun.




Take care
xxx


34 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying reading in the garden too, feels a bit naughty when there are chores to do but as its so hot I tell myself it's ok lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been doing my chores in an evening when it isn’t as hot, the weather’s too good to miss x

      Delete
  2. I put ice cubes in my chickens' water, too. It does seem to help them. It looks like you have really been enjoying the weather. Like you, I've been making lots of salads, and eating outside on the patio. Enjoy your reading and blogging...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t it lovely to just relax with a good book x

      Delete
  3. Salads are wonderful this time of year. Yes it can get really hot out there really fast. The marigolds seem to really like it though.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s not often we have the weather to be able to eat outside x

      Delete
  4. You're so good to your doggies, putting ice cubes in their water dish. It's been quite hot here too and so dry! So much watering to do in the evenings! We wait for summer and when it comes we're too warm! ...smile...
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s so true, we complain it’s too cold, then it’s too hot! Lots of watering to be done here in an evening too x

      Delete
  5. I've been slack with my posting lately also. Seems I only have food pics to put up. I work in our business each day so photo opps are few and far between. I've found you on Instagram too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I’ve sent a request to follow you back too x

      Delete
  6. The weather is gorgeous and it's good to make he most of it while it lasts. I'd love to have a run through the fountains. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy threatened to push my chair through them, would have been nice and cool I suppose x

      Delete
  7. I seem to be like that with blogging, I go through phases when I'm all fired up and then it dies for a bit. lol
    Seeing those californian poppies reminded me of years ago when you could get a perfume called 'Californian Poppy' I think it was the first perfume I ever owned. You can't buy it now as I am a dinosaur, lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think I’ve heard of it, but I do remember feeling very grown up and sophisticated when I had my first spray of Charlie x

      Delete
  8. We had some much needed rain yesterday (SW England, near Bath). It didn't last for long but was a proper downpour and gave the garden a good soaking.

    I too have been living on salads, with the occasional takeaway thrown in on days I've felt like something more substantial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rain here yet, grass is looking rather parched and water butts are running dry x

      Delete
  9. We are enjoying lots of salad too, I do miss not growing my own. Hopefully we will next year. The tub of marigolds looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It it does feel good when we eat things we’ve grown ourselves, though we haven’t grown as much this year x

      Delete
  10. I must be quite mad Cheryl....I have promised Andy a cooked meal today as he is craving a gravy dinner.
    Ooooh I would love a run around in that fountain.
    I am still mainly stuck indoors with the curtains closed and the fan on and only venture out after tea when it's starting to cool down.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so intense hasn’t it, couldn’t cope without the fan on a night time x

      Delete
  11. A lovely summery post. I must admit I am not a fan of the hot weather and am really looking forward to cooler days...please...Enjoy your reading (and playing with Zack)
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very hot too hot for anything besides sitting and reading when I’m outside x

      Delete
  12. I love marigolds and California poppies, too!
    Salads are a good idea. The hot weather makes for lovely outdoor dining, even though the early heat wave's strength is still lingering at dinner time!
    Your pups do look hot. Poor babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a lovely splash of sunshine aren’t they. The weather is too much for the little animals x

      Delete
  13. I think those water play areas are such a good idea.
    I didn't know that about marigolds. I don't like them very much myself but I think I'll make sure I have a pit in the garden from now on, thanks for the tip.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything to help the fight against the midges, I’m afraid we get more now because of having a pond x

      Delete
  14. I've been reading in the garden sitting in my hammock chair . . . the trouble is that it is so comfortable that I fall asleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That salad looks amazing! I too have been reading more and more outside, unfortunately this past week has been too hot for me to stay out too long. Looks like you are enjoying your summer.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete
  16. Salads are great for those hot summer days.
    Sounds like you are enjoying your summer. : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi! new to your blog. Anyone with a chihuahua (or two) is a friend of mine! Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your summer sounds wonderful Cheryl. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Cheryl just to let you know the new blog is up and running.
    Marlene x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, I like the look of that salad. :-)
    Enjoy your lovely weather.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  21. Doesn't that salad look delicious, perfect for these warm summer days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments