Follow by Email

Friday, 15 September 2017

Our Sassy

This post is going to be all about our beautiful cat Sassy.





After my last post on Tuesday, when we were settled down for the evening, we had a phone call from one of our neighbours, they were ringing to let us know that Sassy was asleep in their conservatory. This isn't unusual as our other cat, Mitzi, is often to be found one but next-door and I think she sees it as her second home. Sassy isn't as affectionate as Mitzi and prefers to stay at home with us, wary of people she doesn't know.



Our neighbour was concerned because Sassy didn't appear to be responding to offers of treats or anything else. Andrew went round to pick her up, bring her home and check she was generally okay.




As soon as he brought her home, I knew it was serious. Poor Sassy, she was floppy, loose is how I would describe her and her breathing appeared laboured. I held her in my arms as Andrew searched for and rang the emergency vet. It seemed to take forever to get through, explain her symptoms and insist we needed her to be looked at straight away.






I wrapped Sassy in one of her blankets, we raced to the car and to the vets. We had no idea what was wrong, there were no apparent injuries though that still didn't mean she hadn't perhaps been hit by a car, we just didn't know. In the car Sassy rested her head on my arm, she was salivating and smelt bad, I thought she'd messed herself, but she hadn't, she just smelt bad.




We were taken straight into the examining room, Sass was laid on the table and the vet listened to her heart. She would never have normally let someone else take her from my arms, she would just jump away, but she had no energy left. The very gentle, kind vet said her tiny body was shutting down and said he could perhaps try to bring her back, but that she would probably be brain damaged. He was quite sure that she'd been poisoned.




Andrew and I were in tears, our lovely, loyal Sass, only 10 years old. The vet didn't need to put her to sleep, poor Sassy died within a couple of minutes of us going in the room. She was still wrapped up in her blanket and they assured us that they would keep her in it.

As soon as we walked in the door at home, Imogen could see that Sass hadn't come home with us, all 3 of us were devastated.

Goodbye Sassy, we love you very much and will never forget you.





Take care
xxx


SaveSave

50 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I feel so much for you.
    What is wrong with some humans in this world.
    Lots of hugs
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't imagine hurting an animal under any circumstances, I will never understand that kind of mentality x

      Delete
  2. My heart goes out to you all, rip little one, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is awful for you all. Does the vet know what the poison was? The best of this is that you were there as she died. She would have known that her carer family were there. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stroked her head all the time, I hope she knew we were there and we're trying to help her x

      Delete
  4. Cheryl, I am so sorry. Sassy was a beautiful cat.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. how awful.She looks so much like our lovely Ziggy who died after falling off the roof.He was always climbing.He was only two and we were so upset we havn't been able to get another cat.I really feel for you.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he was very young, it's so hard to lose a pet, many tears have been shed x

      Delete
  6. So very sorry for the loss of your sweet Sassy. Clearly there are some very mixed up people in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I cannot begin to imagine how some people think x

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear of this. Our first dog, many years ago, picked up some Warfarin rat poison in a field and survived. We had a marvellous vet in Northampton who treated her with Vitamin K injections and pills if I remember rightly. We'd been away in Yorkshire for my brother's wedding leaving Bonnie with my in-laws who were looking after her. They took her straight to the vet who started with the Vitamin K. Apparently her tongue was a bright red, which is a sign of poisoning. Our journey home was a lot quicker I must say.
    My heartfelt condolences to you. She looks to be a loving friendly cat.

    Joan (Devon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sassy was a wonderful cat. The vet who treated her was very kind and so gentle with her x

      Delete
  8. I have just read your post. Such sad news. It must have been awful for you and and poor Sassy. She was clearly loved and I'm sure she would have been comforted by your loving care. Sending hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, if there's anything to take any comfort from, then it's that it all happened so quickly x

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry. Such a little beauty and much loved by you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really was a beautiful cat and a beautiful friend x

      Delete
  10. Oh God, how horrible! How can someone do something like that. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, why anyone would hurt her is beyond me x

      Delete
  11. Dear Cheryl
    What heartbreaking news. I am so sorry and am sending virtual hugs. To lose a beloved member of the family is always awful, but particularly so under these circumstances.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie, Sassy will always be remembered, she was the cat my daughter has grown up with x

      Delete
  12. Oh that is so sad. I am so sorry for your loss.
    She was a beautiful cat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry to hear you've lost your kitty. She was a pretty puss. We lost our 9 year old Bonnie back in 2016 and we're not sure what was wrong with her either. Sadly, we had her put to sleep rather than carry on with experimental meds that the vet didn't know would work or not. At least I got to hold her and say goodbye. It's a sad business for sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so sad, and sometimes its best to say goodbye rather than prolong any suffering x

      Delete
  14. Oh my Cheryl, great big lump in my throat & watery eyes reading this very sad post. I am so deeply sorry to read about poor dear Sassy. Try to remember what a wonderful life she had with you all. Sending love & cyber hugs your way Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, I hope she had a wonderful life x

      Delete
  15. I'm so sorry to read this Cheryl. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heart goes out to you, such a sad loss. She certainly was one beautiful cat. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Cheryl, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always so sad to lose a beloved furry friend but to lose one in this way is just terrible. I hope that it was purely an accident and that Sassy poked her cute little nose in where she shouldn't, but sadly, you hear of disgusting people doing these things on purpose. I know that Sassy will have had a wonderful life with you and she was loved so try and remember the happy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. I really hope it wasn't done on purpose, I just can't imagine why anyone would be so cruel. She was very loved x

      Delete
  18. I am so, so sorry the poor girl. And of course all of your too. How horrible that something so senseless happened to ha happy and healthy cat. I pray it was a pure accident. but none the less I know your heart is heavy. Sending you a hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we've all been quite upset and Sassy is very missed x

      Delete
  19. I've heard if people using antifreeze to poison cats, I never understand why. You can buy sonic devices to keep them off your garden. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wasn't even one for wandering off like out other cat does x

      Delete
  20. I am so sorry that this happened to poor Sassy. How can someone be so cruel?

    We lost our sweet kitty Izzy this last June to cancer of the jaw. Losing a pet is losing a member of the family.

    I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll never understand how people can be so cruel to helpless little animals. We can only hope the poisoning was accidental in some way. I'm so sorry. I know how attached we can get to our pets. Sending you love and hugs.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh no, my heart goes out to you, what a wicked thing for someone to have done.
    {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, i'm so, so sorry! It's heartbreaking enough when our pets die but to think that she had been poisoned is just too awful for words. My two don't really go out of our garden and i never leave them outside when i'm at work or if we go out because i'm so paranoid about them getting hurt, I just can't understand cruelty of any sort to trusting animals.
    I'm upset just reading about it so goodness know how you must all feel :-(
    Sending you hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am SO sorry for your loss. She looks and sounds like a wonderful cat.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How very sad and terrible to loos Sass in such a horrible way.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The photographs here are very nice to see and I'm sure you will have many fond, and good memories.
    But oh Cheryl, I am in tears reading this.
    My thoughts are with you, so very sad.
    May Sassy RIP.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. My heart breaks for you all Cheryl having to deal with the loss of a kitty so dear.
    Sending a big hug.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments