Wednesday 9 September 2015

Getting Ready for Autumn

I think my first words need to be a hearty congratulations to our beloved queen. Queen Elizabeth II, our longest reigning monarch, long may she reign.

Picture from the BBC



It's definitely here, Autumn. The weather's already changed, you can feel it in the air, but for me the clincher is our daughter starting the new school year. A bit later than usual this year, but off she went this morning after the obligatory first day back photo.

I have to tell you about the caterpillar infestation. You could see in my last post how they had ravaged our green vegetables, well they literally ate themselves out of house and home! We came downstairs to a patio covered in hundreds of poor little caterpillars all desperately searching for more food.



Over population leading to a lack of resources. It was a bit icky, but a bit sad too. I've never seen anything like it!




 Now for a complete change of subject. Books, I love books, I love to read, but I generally only read a book once. I think because there are so many amazing books that once I've read one I want to move on to the next. I am now making an exception and rereading some books from my teenage years.

My mum used to like books by the author Jean Plaidy (amongst many others) and I tended to pick books up after her. I remember looking for a Plaidy book some years ago and being told they were out of print. Then in The Works the other day... look what I found...



 It's the Tudor set (except for the last in the series). I couldn't resist them as it was 3 books for £5, they needed to come home with me!



 These books tell the story of the Tudors, starting Henry VII after the reign of the Plantagenates and war of the roses. I think I found some of my love of history from reading Plaidy's books as a child. Obviously they are fictionalised, but it helped me learn my kings and queens and gave them more of a 'real' feeling. I'm trying to persuade my daughter to read them, not much interest on her part though.

Take care
xxx




19 comments:

  1. I will add my congratulations to the Queen too.
    I love to read too but I do keep books that I have really enjoyed.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is going to be a very sad day when anything happens to the Queen she's the only monarch I've every known in my lifetime and Charles is certainly going to be in his twilight years by the time he takes over I do wonder sometimes if it will go straight to William. I don't think I've ever seen anything like your caterpillars either. Are they moths? I did like the book part of your post as an avid reader I know exactly where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I can't imagine our Queen not being there x

      Delete
  3. Good grief Cheryl - you have got a lot of reading to do there, I'm impressed. It seems to take me ages to get through a book at the moment. On the other hand not too impressed with all those caterpillars! I agree, congratulations to the Queen, what an achievement.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Cheryl - lovely to read your post - doesn't the Queen look wonderful? A life of service to her country - such marvellous dedication. An amazing amount of caterpillars - how odd that there are quite so many of them.....
    Well done on finding all those books! Many hours of pleasure there! I keep books I've read and loved - my absolute favourite is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.
    Have a lovely early autumn week !
    Take care,
    Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lynda, I love those books, have you seen the Outlander series?

      Delete
    2. Hi again! Yes - I wasn't going to watch the series, as I thought it would spoil the books - but......... Just couldn't resist! I enjoy it immensely, and love the books even more!!
      Just started re-reading them for the (at least!) twentieth time........
      Take care xx

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with your beautiful sentiment of the our beloved Queen, long may she reign, such a great achievement. Impressive reading matter, it would take me years to get through all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought the queen looked lovely today in that blue. Speaking of other queens and kings ....that brings it back as I was a great Jean Plaidy fan when I was in a teenager. Good luck to your daughter starting her new school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you look at the BBC, they have 63 photos of the Queen...one from each year of her reign. You know I enjoyed every one of them! I can sing "God Save The Queen, you know I can! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Queen too, but not quite as much as my ma in law.....cups,plates in a china cabinet.......need I say more?!!
    I was quite worried for the little caterpillar in photo 2....did the bigger one eat it?
    My veg patch now too is stripped bare - the little bastids! Mosquito netting next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've brought back some memories Cheryl as my mum loved Jean Plaidy books! I often think of rereading some of my books from the past but never get round to actually doing it ;-) Yes, congratulations to the Queen...a fantastic lady x....and wishing your daughter a perfect start to her new school year ♥
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those books wouldn't be Eleanor's cup of tea either, though she's no great reader anyway, sadly. Did you watch the programme about Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria the other day? It was making comparisons between the two, I really enjoyed it. Goodness, all those caterpillars, I've never seen anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to hear about the caterpillars. I hope they stay away. That is such good news about the Queen. I have always liked her, I think she seems like an interesting person and a good ruler. I'm happy she has had such a long, healthy life and now such a record-breaking reign as monarch. I hope you have a good weekend, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was watching the Queen on the BBC World News here and I was particularly struck by how well she looked and also how that blue outfit suited her. I hope I look like that at nearly 90 and also speak so clearly as she does. I think I must have read all that Jean Plaidy published I was a great lover of her books years back. Even though ,as you remark, they are fictitious they give you an idea of those past times!!
    Congratulations to our Queen!!!

    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the queen, too, even though I'm American. She always seems so classy. Poor caterpillars. Maybe they were almost ready to cocoon?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really is history making that the Queen is the longest reigning monarch isn't it! Hope that you enjoy reading all of your new series of books! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. God bless your Queen. I love when American television gives updates on your royal family. I was in love with Princess Diana and woke up super early the day she married Prince Charles. I still feel so sad when I see photos of her. I adore Kate and Prince William and their babies!!! We don't have a President that I can be thrilled about so at least I can dote on your royalty!!!! : ) Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for leaving comments on my blog. It's so nice to be able to "meet" people in blog world!!! xo

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments