Friday 15 June 2018

Lunch Out with an Unexpected Guest

Our routine has changed, we were having our little grandson Zackary for 3 days a week, but now that mum and dad are both working full time, little Zack has been enrolled and started going to nursery and we now have him twice a week. Poor little Zack is not impressed with nursery and makes his poor dad feel awful in the mornings when he drops him off by screaming his little lungs away, though is usually playing happily when mum comes at the end of the day to pick him up, little rascal. It has made him very clingy though, when we're doing our babysitting duties, Zack doesn't like either me or Andrew to leave the room and is wanting extra cuddles (which I have no problem providing at all).

It's a long day for such a small person, from 8 till 6pm, so when Zack has his days with us we try to go out for a while in the afternoons to break it up a bit for him. We had some lunch out the other day, a nice cup of tea



and a healthy salad with a baked potato, simple and very tasty.


Zackary enjoyed sitting outside, watching people come and go.


We were being watched while we ate by this little robin red breast, perched on a chair looking for scraps.



When the person next to us left their table, he swooped straight in there, picking about to see what he could find.


Quite a tame little fellow, I caught this picture just after he'd been on the floor between Andrew and Zack, an unexpected guest picking at Zack's dropped pieces of food. He seems to be on a good thing here and we'll be looking out for him next time we go.


It's funny as it's only an extra day a week, but we seem to have more time and it's been nice to spend some of it outside in the garden when the weather was a bit warmer. I found a comfy seat with a cup of tea, good book and some hexis I'm working on.

The book is Into the Water by Paula Hawkins. I really enjoyed her other book, The Girl on a Train, and this one is just as gripping and written in a similar way, from different peoples perspectives.


Little hexis waiting to be made into something glorious....


I wasn't the only one enjoying the new free time, Gary stretched out and caught some ZZZZZs


I had to show you little Alfie too, what a face he was pulling at me here, another one who likes lots of extra cuddles!



Take care
xxx



22 comments:

  1. Your Zackary is a sweet little fellow...love his gorgeous red hair. How lovely you and he and your husband get out and about and enjoy those Summer days. Zackary must love his days spent with you. Love those hexies! Can't wait to see them all stitched together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I can’t get over that gorgeous red hair, I absolutely love it right down to the tiny red eyelashes x

      Delete
  2. Our aged cat reminds me of when the kids were little! As an ex child carer in different situations Zack's behaviour is completely normal. You could all do with a web cam and see him enjoying himself! They are good at making people feel guilty at leaving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is quite an expert, only 10 months old and has his nanny and grandpoppy wrapped round his little finger x

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful post. You are so good at telling a story. Glad to hear that Zachary has you in his life. It must be very comforting for him. It's sad how many hours children have to spend in daycare now. Your dogs are adorable. They look so loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could have him every day, but it would just be too much for us now, hopefully the time in nursery will help to make him a sociable little man x

      Delete
  4. Grandchildren are such fun but also exhausting, especially when it's such a long day 8 until 6.
    That Robin really is a brave one! Our Robins of course look quite different but they also are not all that scared of us. They love long splashy baths in the birdbath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it must be fun watching them splash about, I love watching birds x

      Delete
  5. This looks like a fun day. I'm sure little Zack was great company.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day, he is such a joy to spend time with x

      Delete
  6. Poor little Zach, such a long day at nursery, he must be convinced you may abandon him somewhere too. Lovely little robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does seem to be struggling at the moment, it makes me sad for him, but I suppose he’ll settle as time goes by x

      Delete
  7. It's heart wrenching to leave a crying baby but they soon perk up once they can't see you. Zackary is growing up so fast, it doesn't seem two minutes since he was born, time's flying by. Awww, I always love seeing your doggies, whoever said it's a dog's life have never met Gary and Alfie, just look at them relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adams finding it very hard as he does the morning drop off. Zackary will be 1 in August, it has passed so quickly, they’re babies for such a short time x

      Delete
  8. What a lovely post, I can't believe how fast Zackary is growing. He does look a sweetie and I love his hair, such a gorgeous colour.

    My favourite birds are robins, so I enjoyed reading and seeing about this lovely bird you encountered while out.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you can still spend wonderful time with your gorgeous grandson. is hair is just the most wonderful color. Enjoy our weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so hard to leave a crying child but I'm sure after a few minutes he is fine.
    Nice that you get to spend some time each week with Zackary. He sure is getting big!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think spending time with your grandson is precious. Enjoy every moment.
    xx oo
    Carla
    I love the color of his hair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The little robin will be flying off with a full tummy after scooping up all the leftovers at your lovely lunchtime eatery.
    Poor Zacchary, its hard when parents work such long hours, my granddaughter was in the same position and cried every day at school for a whole year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, it's a big change for them going to nursery after being at home, i'm sure he will settle in time.
    My daughter is still on maternity leave, she is going back 2 days a week and Bonnie will go to nursery 2 mornings and I will pick her up at lunch time when I finish work. Us nannas have our uses, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its so hard for parents these days. Gone are the times when mum used to able to stay at home the cost of living is now just so high. My second son always used to make me feel awful when I left him screaming his head off and shouting don't leave me with these people. Five minutes later when I peeked in the class he was busy playing and chatting to friends. They know how to make you feel bad don't they. I have read Into the water and I really enjoyed it. I think she may have just released another book but not yet purchased.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope your grandson adapts to his new schedule soon. It's always hard leaving them when they're crying. I know you don't mind giving him extra hugs when he's with you. that's the bonus. Happy summer!
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments