Sunday 16 September 2018

Dad's Operation

Thank you for all the lovely comments and well wishes for my parents on my last post. I usually try and reply to them under each one, but what a week it's been!

I shall launch straight into it by telling you my lovely, kind and gentle dad had his heart valve replacement operation a week ago Thursday. I think it started badly when my parents arrived at the hospital and the room my mum had booked to stay in had been double booked, the poor woman didn't know what to do! Luckily a friend had driven them to Cambridge and found a b&b just a few minutes walk away that relatives sometimes stay in.

Dad was first down on the Thursday morning and the operation took between 5 to 6 hours, then back up to critical care with one to one nursing. Unfortunately when my mum was able to visit him, he wasn't awake. It was hard because the 2 other men there had also had heart ops, but were sitting up in bed, one drinking a cup of tea and both down to the ward by the next day. Obviously you shouldn't compare people, not everyone's operations were the same, but dad ended being on the ventilator until Monday, they just couldn't wake him and then he had a stroke, my poor mum watched people come and go.

We couldn't even go and support my mum as we have coughs and colds and she can't risk catching any germs she could pass onto dad. The good news was that the operation itself had gone very well, they had hoped to just repair the valve rather than replace it, but it was too damaged. I can't help but think that's something to do with having to wait over a year for the operation. The nurses did comment to my mum what a remarkable man my father is, how quickly he seemed to start regaining strength in his left arm after the stroke and how he never complains about anything, even pain.

Mum would ring every morning after getting the hospital update before going up to see him, then in the evening when she returned to the b&b. She had to return home on Tuesday as she had a hospital appointment herself and a friend took her back on Friday.

When mum left dad, he was on a feeding tube and terribly confused. Even though he is a wisp of the man he was, he has had the tube removed as he is eating now and having build up drinks. Still a bit confused and desperately tired, dad is so much better! He was having one to one nursing until Friday morning and mum says his care has been amazing, they couldn't be any better or any nicer. I think it's going to be a slow, uphill journey, but dad is making improvements everyday.

It's been a bit of a nightmare, and we thought we'd lost him, so even though he is still in hospital, wired up and stuck in bed or a chair... it's still heaps better. He is oblivious to it all, I think my poor mum has probably aged another 5 years though and I still get butterflies waiting to hear the daily update.

I'm going to make myself a cup of my new tea then get the table ready for dinner.



Take care
xxx

30 comments:

  1. Oh Cheryl, what an ordeal. Your poor Mum and Dad and poor you feeling ill and not being to be there with them. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a worrying time for you all, thinking of you. Enjoy the tea, I like a lemon and ginger myself. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a worrying time seeing our parents go through such things, especially when we're unable to be there by their side. Sending my best wishes for your dad's swift recovery and sending hugs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be terribly hard not to go see him for yourself. Sending good wishes for a good recovery and strength for your Mom as she handles all this. Hugs to you too .... try not to worry too much and I hope YOU feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hold in there. I've been through similar things with Tom and believe me he will be okay. It's always horrible for the first couple of weeks but once he gets home he will improve and the valve will make so much difference.
    I feel for your Mum as I also know what its like being unable to do much for your loved one. Again she will be fine I'm sure.
    who wants to get old? its a nightmare and not something that any of us thinks will happen, but it does.
    A good family is all you need behind you to get better.
    Lots of love
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your Dad continues to improve and gets home safe and sound soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping your Dad improves with every passing day, and that you get to see him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear. You are going through it. I am sure that your dad will go from strength to strength now that he is eating. Your poor Mum must be exhausted too. It must be terrible for you not being able to visit him too. Sending hugs and positive thoughts to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope the progress continues and he soon home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that your dad is now improving and pray it makes a full recovery quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm relieved to read your dad's operation went well and I'm sending my very best wishes for his continued recovery. How frustrating for you that you haven't been able to visit. I do hope you're feeling better very soon. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending you a {big hug} and I hope your dad continues to improve. Poor mum, what an ordeal she has been through with the sleeping arrangements on top of everything else. I hope het hospital apt was some good news.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Cheryl, how horrible for you all. I am so sorry that your dad had a stroke. I hope that with each day he improves and that you will all feel a little less anxious. Such a difficult time for you. Hopefully your colds and coughs abate and you will be able to visit your dad and your mum very soon. Thinking of you♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad he is coming along... But what a terrible, terrible ordeal, for him, for your mom, and for his family.

    And yes, having to wait a year, for this operation, has to have been way too long. I just can't understand such a wait. :-( This simply does not happen here.

    Gentle hugs to all...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending good thoughts to your dad and your family! I hope he gets better soon. Sounds like a terrible week but glad he's slowly on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a horrible experience for all of you Cheryl. I am pleased to read he continues to improve though & hope that puts your mind at rest a bit. Yes can imagine how difficult this has been for your poor Mum also.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a distressing time your family has had, worried about your Dad. Hopefully he keeps getting stronger day by day.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You will all continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a worrying time you are having, I do hope though that your dad has now turned the corner and will grow stronger every day. Sending big hugs to you, your mum and family. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the update on your Dad Cheryl. I was wondering how things were going.
    I am sending huge doses of healing thoughts for him and for your Mum and yourself too. The waiting for news must be quite harrowing.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  21. My goodness, you have been through the mill. I hope he continues to recover and your mum has your father home fairly soon. I hope you get better soon to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, that's stressful. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope your dad continues to go from strength to strength, what an incredibly stressful time for you all.
    Take good care of yourself.
    Hugs to all.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness I am so sorry to hear all of this. After waiting so long for this operation, and to feel better, and then things to not go well..... And you must feel awful not being able to help. Thoughts and prayers for all of you.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cheryl I'm glad you're dad is doing better but I can imagine the stress and anxiety for yourself and your mom. Prayers my friend.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  26. my thoughts are with you and your family... xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a stressful time for you all, but I'm pleased to read your Dad is doing better.
    My thoughts and prayers to you all.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a difficult time for your family, Cheryl. You are all in my thoughts. Sending a big, strong hug.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hugs. Give your Dad time. It takes a long time for some to recover themselves after this type of heart op. My Mum and FIL both had the same. Hugs for your Mum as well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so sorry that your dad had to have surgery, but I'm so pleased that it went well. It's so hard not to worry about our parents. It does sound like your dad is getting excellent care. I do hope that your father continues to recover and is healthy and happy before long. Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments