Monday 2 October 2017

Gnocchi and Cauliflower and my Poor Little Princess

What a week my poor girl had last week. It started at the beginning of the week when Imogen complained of a bite on her foot, by the time we picked her up from school on Monday evening (she doesn't finish until 6 on a Monday as there's a drama after school group) she'd had to take her shoe off and it had become really painful. The picture doesn't do justice to the amount of swelling there was.



Antibiotics and foot elevation were prescribed at the drs as well as a couple of days off school. Feeling much better and able to get her shoe back on, Imogen returned to school. Friday evening, after an evening spent with friends, Imogen went upstairs to get ready for bed... after a while my phone pinged. I nearly didn't look straight away as I was knitting and not expecting to hear from anyone, I had a peek and it was Imogen asking for someone to come upstairs because her knee has dislocated!

It was horrendous, this time it was her right leg and her knee had slipped out as she went to sit on her bed. Unable to reach her phone and knowing we wouldn't hear her scream from downstairs (it's not a big house, just a solid one. When the doors are closed and the TVs on you can't hear upstairs), my extremely brave girl had reset her own knee. I used to dislocate my knees when I was younger and it is the most excruciating pain, I have never reset my own knee, I am in awe of her.

So off to hospital on a Friday night, not ideal, but needs must. Unbelievably we were in and out in a couple of hours (don't think that's ever happened before). All strapped up and resting, waiting for it to settle down so she can start physio again.



So that's the latest news about my poor, brave daughter.



I'm not the most adventurous person when it comes to food, my palette is a bit limited, but I do like to try something different now and then.

I've heard gnocchi talked about a lot on cooking programmes, but have never tried it. Potato dumplings, sounds nice enough, so when we were in the supermarket and I saw some, I threw them in the basket. We had them with a seasoned cheese sauce and cauliflower


gnocchi cooking










I thought it would make a lovely accompaniment to roasted gammon




Not sure how I feel about gnocchi, perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I'd made it myself rather than bought it? What do you think, does the premade gnocchi taste very different from the homemade? Don't think I'll be having it again.

Take care
xxx







39 comments:

  1. That's one thing I haven't tried, looks okay though, gammon looks yummy.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gammon was lovely, just don't think I'm a gnocchi fan x

      Delete
  2. Your poor daughter has been in the wars, she is very brave and obviously a girl with lots of initiative. Hope she is well soon.
    Gnocchi, well, its just semolina or potato isnt it? I've not made them but have eaten them, without any great enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found them rather bland even with all the seasoning. We're very proud of Imogen and her quick action should hopefully help towards a quicker recovery x

      Delete
  3. Your poor girl, how brave she was, I tried gnocchi once but unfortunately didn't like it. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she really was. Not just us then, the way it was being talked about it seemed everyone adored it x

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, poor Imogen; I do hope she is up and around and better soon. I have only eaten store bought gnochi. I rather like it. Your cauliflower dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gnocchi and cauliflower cheese, the cheese sauce was nice x

      Delete
  5. Poor Imogen, she sure has been in the wars lately!! I do hope she is soon feeling much better. I have never tried gnocchi at all but your meal looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only July when her other knee dislocated and her jaw not long before that x

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, poor Imogen! I hope she is feeling much better now. I've never dislocated anything but i'm sure it is very painful, she was indeed very brave.
    I like gnocchi although we don't have it very often, i've never made it only had the one from the supermarket so can't comment on how different it tastes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dislocated knees are pretty awful, poor Imogen was quite shocked afterwards, the dr said he has big rugby players who could never reset their own knees so thought she was extremely brave x

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter has had these dislocations. Thank God she had her phone. I hope some physical therapy or something can help her to stabilize those joints. That's frightening. Lovely food you have made, too. I love gnocchi. I think I've had it with alfredo sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've told her to make sure she always keeps her phone with her. Physio have been great, she already has an appointment for tomorrow morning x

      Delete
  8. What a capable brave young daughter you have. Hope all ok now. I do t like gnocchi at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Homemade gnocchi IS much tastier (as with MOST packaged vs. fresh foods). I find them a little pasty no matter what you do.


    I usually boil mine and then brown them in garlic butter before adding them to alfredo sauce and fresh tomatoes.

    Hope you daughter is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, making anything from scratch is much tastier. I like the browning them in garlic butter idea x

      Delete
  10. I do hope Imogen is doing better. How scary! Your gnocchi looks so yummy. I'd love to eat it but it's always with a cream sauce and I don't eat dairy :( I hope your week is going better. Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be good with a tomato based sauce too x

      Delete
  11. Hope Imogen gets better soon, how brave is she? Have often looked at gnocchi but never quite sure, don't think I've been missing much then! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, let's hope she doesn't have to do it again x

      Delete
  12. I have never tried gnocchi before but it certainly looked good with the cauliflower and cheese sauce. How brave your sweet daughter was, wishing her a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she's already back at school and walking around again x

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness poor Imogen. That bite looks nasty.
    Very awesome that she put her own knee back. I don't think I could do it.

    Never tried gnocchi and want to even less now that I have read your report. That gammon though looks lovely.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't do it either, makes me cringe just thinking about it x

      Delete
  14. Poor Imogen, she really has been in the wars just lately, hasn't she? I hope she's on the mend again now. I've never tried gnocchi, Mick's not very adventurous at all so it means that I end up sticking to rather plain food too, I can't be bothered cooking two separate dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew's much more adventurous with his food than I am, but we generally have the same meals as we don't want to be cooking different dishes either x

      Delete
  15. Dear Cheryl
    What a rotten time your daughter had. I hope this week is better for her. I'm not a fan of gnocchi - it's a bit 'claggy' and slimy for me (but my husband likes it).
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't what I was expecting from hearing about 'these tasty little dumplings' x

      Delete
  16. Poor Imogen. She has really been through it this week. I hope she's well rested now and on the way to recovery.
    I can't say I'm a fan of gnocchi either, it's a bit tasteless. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imogen is walking about, hopefully her knees are getting stronger every day x

      Delete
  17. I wasn't impressed when we tried gnocchi either.
    Poor Imogen that dies look painful. A very brave young lady to realign her knee herself, not sure I could have done it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness how awful for Imogen. I can't even imagine how she could set her own knee. That is impressive.
    I hope she continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your poor daughter is very brave and I do hope she recovers quickly from her ordeals! I've never had gnocchi, but the meal looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your poor daughters been through the rough. It looks painful. Hoping she'll recover very soon. Wishing you a better week.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goodness me, Imogen really did have a week of it. I am full of admiration for her. I hope she is feeling ok.
    My son loved gnocchi. I would serve it for him instead of pasta with a tomato sauce. I made my own and it was really simple.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Poor Imogen, hope she is recovering well now.
    Love roast gammon with cauliflower cheese ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry to hear your daughter had to go through all that. I do hope she heals quickly. I've heard of people resetting their own limbs - oh my, your daughter is a brave one, indeed.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments