Monday 14 August 2017

Pompom Rug

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments regarding our beautiful new grandson. I have a picture of him on my phone home screen and find myself turning my phone on just to look at him.

After the fevered activity at the beginning of last week with the birth of Zackary and my mum being rushed to hospital, everything has quietened down now, thank goodness. My mum has had her appendix removed and is in hospital recuperating (though I'm sure she'll be home in a day or so) while one of her sisters stays with my dad. Little Zachary is thriving and I've had daily updates, but have been unable to see him as I've been ill myself. I had a bit of a tummy bug the other week and it came back on Thursday evening, knocking me off my feet. I was a bit disappointed as it was Izzy's 8th birthday on Sunday and I was looking forward to them all piling round and making a birthday tea with all the trimmings for her. Izzy still had a wonderful birthday and Imogen went to the birthday tea and even dressed up in one of her outfits from work as a surprise for Izzy.


Poppy the Troll


So due to illness I haven't left the house or really done much the last few days. I've been able to drink a cup of tea today and keep it down, so hopefully I'm on the up again. I shall be keeping away from the little family though as I don't want to pass any nasties on to anyone.


I do have my pompom reveal though. I actually finished it before Zack arrived, but thought it far more important to announce his arrival into the world! It wasn't a project I wanted hanging around, so once I started, I wanted to continue until it was finished. I may never make another pompom though...

It started with one








Thank goodness I found these fingerless scissors




I had no idea how many to make, just that I would need rather a lot.




I used white, pinks and black to fit in with Imogen's bedroom colours.


I used a piece of canvas rug making fabric. I'm not sure what possessed me, but I decided to make it a meter diameter (about 3ft), I thought it might look a bit 'lost' in the room if it was smaller (not that the room's very large).



When I'd made about 40, I laid them on the fabric to get an idea of how many I needed... lots was the answer, lots and lots...




I haven't counted them, but there are definitely at least 150 pompoms snuggled together here. Each one lovingly (maybe not quite as lovingly after the first 50) made and individually tied through the fabric nice and securely.






I'm actually very pleased with it. It's thick, beautiful and colourful, just the thing for Imogen to sink her toes into when she gets out of bed in the mornings. It's a good size and looks lovely in Imogen's room, I can't see me making another one though!



Take care
xxx





33 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you have been feeling so poorly, nasty bugs can wipe you off your feet.
    Glad to hear Izzy had a good birthday, what a great auntie Imogen is!
    Love the new rug, what a fabulous item to have made for Imogen, I bet she loves it.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does, she loves to pout her feet in it when she gets out of bed x

      Delete
  2. It's lovely! I can imagine how nice it will feel to the toes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rug is just fabulous. It must feel wonderful to put your feet onto that sumptuousness in a morning.
    Hope you're feeling much better soon, then you can go and visit that gorgeous grandson of yours. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, haven't seen him for a week now, getting plenty of photos though x

      Delete
  4. Dear Cheryl
    Hope you're on the mend now. The rug looks really snuggly and pretty too - it will be loved, I'm sure!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGoodness, I LOVE your pom pom rug! I have seem them around the internet before and thought I would love to make one, they look so squishy :-) I can well imagine how you felt about making that many though, it can get a bit tedious after a while, but look how lovely it looks, well worth it :-)

    Glad your mum is doing ok but sorry to read you have been ill again, hopefully you will be better soon so that you can go and have a cuddle of that beautiful grandson :-) I'm finding it's hard not to keep popping round to Joanne as they only live a 2 minute walk away, but i think they need to adjust by themselves while Gavin has time off work.
    Feel better soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely that they live so close to you, babies are just so gorgeous x

      Delete
  6. Love the rug although I would never want anyone to stand on it because its to lovely and fluffy. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have explained to Imogen that it can't be washed, only wiped, so keep it clean x

      Delete
  7. Wow, it's fabulous, lucky Imogen. Well worth making all those pompoms for. Sorry to hear you've been ill, I hope you're feeling better soon so that you can get lots of cuddles in with Zackary. Glad they've got your mum sorted out, my dad was rushed in with appendicitis last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny isn't it, I always thought of it as a younger persons problem, obviously not! x

      Delete
  8. Sorry your aren't feeling well!!
    Oh the pom pom rug turned out beautiful. What a great idea for a nice soft rug!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, that looks like a lot of work! It's beautiful. I'm sorry to hear you've been under that weather. It sounds like you've had a lot of stress in your life. I hope you feel better, and that things turn around soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The Pom Pom making did seem everlasting, but it was worth it x

      Delete
  10. Glad your Mum is on the mend, hope you are too. Take care of yourselves. The rug is fantastic isn't it! A lot of work, but a great result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm really pleased with how the rug turned out x

      Delete
  11. Oh I hate the stomach flu. It seems to take forever to get your strength back. The Pom Pom rug is so cute. I can see why you might never make another Pom Pom though! Congratulations on your new family member!!! And glad your Mom is on the mend.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like I've been ill for ages, though it's just a week x

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous, gorgeous little boy....welcome to the world.

    The rug is beautiful....Ruby would love one but I ain't even going there....lol.

    Hope your Mum is on the mend and you too.
    Quite a bit of poorliness about at the minute.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank goodness for handy little gadget. That's a lot of pom poms. You persevered and finished which is good. It looks great.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just catching up on some blog posts Cheryl as have been away sorting out my Mum (again). I wanted to congratulate you on the birth of your gorgeous wee grandson ... this is such a special time for you. I am so very sorry to read of your flu & also your Mums illness & hope things begin to settle for you real soon so you can just enjoy that special little bundle. The pom pom rug is soooo gorgeous, you should feel so proud to have made something so beautiful !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was here the other day and forgot to comment so I'm back! I love the pom pom rug I might make one myself xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, be prepared for 'Pom Pom shoulders ' lol x

      Delete
  16. It cann frequently mean the contrast between business's success and failure.

    After you have succeeded, you can definitely find your new
    room setting creates a totally different ambiance inside.
    Modern furniture rid yourself of conventional designs,
    patterns and resources to test out more innovative styles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you are fully recovered and able to enjoy those baby cuddles again.
    A super pom pom rug, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the pom pom rug is brilliant, and I love the colours.
    Pleased to read that your Mum is on the mend, and I certainly hope you are too.

    Take care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments