Wednesday 21 June 2017

A Bed of Roses and a U.F.O.?

Thank your all the lovely positive comments about my dad it's very appreciated. My parents are having a terrible time that is unfortunately being exacerbated by my dad's hospital notes being mislaid and the wrong appointments being given as well as other administrative errors. As a patient with grade 3 cancer and an urgent heart condition, this is very upsetting.

How is everyone managing in this not very British heat? Despite hearing on the news today that it's been the hottest June day since 1976, we in East Yorkshire haven't had the sunniest of days. Cloud cover arrived yesterday with a drop in temperature, still a bit humid, but not really sunny and now it's raining... I hope that wasn't summer!!

This is becoming my go to place when I need to identify a plant, thus the title referring to an unidentified flowering object (my U.F.O.). I picked up these little beauties in Lidl, they weren't labelled and I have no idea what they are.




 My other strange plant could be anything, they seem to have appeared in the last few days in a few different places, but don't look like weeds?





I would be so grateful if someone could identify them so I have an idea what to do with them.


I'm so thrilled with my climbing roses, 'Compassion', it's so fragrant and there are so many blooms on it. My other rose is a rambler, 'Albertine', no flowers this year, but it's grown much more than the climber has.









The Californian Poppies are starting to flower, beautiful cups of orange sunshine.





There are pretty, little flowers on some of the pond plants too and the fish are definitely thriving, nearly doubled in size since we bought them. I love how they come up to say hello and eat their food when I feed them each day.






The sweetcorn is growing well, there are a few 'corn on the cobs' wrapped tightly under their leaves, so hopefully we'll be eating fresh sweetcorn by the end of the summer.



Our first potatoes, there's about 4lb here.




I hope we get to spend some time out there tomorrow. We're picking our DILs daughter up from school and I'm hoping we can play in the garden and maybe eat out there too, we'll have to see what tomorrow brings.


Take care
xxx


32 comments:

  1. Dear Cheryl
    The purple flower looks like an ageratum - half-hardy, usually used as bedding. There are lots of different varieties in purple and white. The other one looks like a member of the Euphorbia family (possibly Euphorbia Lathyris - if it is, then the sap is an irritant to skin, so be careful if you are cutting the stems.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie, I shall make sure I wear gloves when handling them x

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking so very pretty Cheryl. I agree with Ellie above - those purple pom pom flowers definately look like ageratums. You will get a good long flowering out of them. And yes I think that is a Euphorbia poking its head up. Be careful as one popped its head up in my garden, I let it flower & now they self seed everywhere & are a real nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be popping up everywhere, perhaps we should remove them x

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful (and productive) garden. I just mentioned on another blog how I haven't smelt a proper rose in years. Your look lovely.
    I hope things soon settle down with your dad's appointments. It must be such worry. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite a worry, the hardest thing being that he feels he is losing faith in the medical system x

      Delete
  4. You have a pretty garden.
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The supermarkets are a great source of UFO s aren't they. Our Sainsbury too. One of our Sainsbury UFO has grown into a triffid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh I know what you mean especially when like us you aren't very horticulturally educated x

      Delete
  6. I see your plants have been identified and I agree so I won't chip in. I'm loving roses more and more these days, my next door neighbour has a huge rambler which flowers profusely and it looks fabulous, though I'm not all that keen on the bright pink colour. I haven't harvested any spuds yet this year, I'm looking forward to that first taste though, it can't be beaten, except maybe for home grown sweetcorn, yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean about roses, I seem to have fallen in love with them more as I've grown older x

      Delete
  7. What a worrying time for you Cheryl. I am sending healing thoughts for your parents and a special hug for you.

    I absolutely loathe summer and I am so glad that we didn't get the predicted 90F yesterday. We had intermittent cloud cover but today it looks like we have very thick cloud. I do hope it rains.

    Your garden is looking beautiful. We get hundreds of those little orange poppies in our front garden....and we have never ever planted any....you can't beat free plants.

    Have a lovely day-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, I do like free plants. Thank you for the healing thoughts x

      Delete
  8. Your garden is looking wonderful, love the vibrancy of the poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your dad gets better with each day. I hope all the problems are sorted. Your garden is looking lovely. Compassion...what a glorious name for a rose. Such a pretty colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is a lovely name isn't it and smells so beautiful x

      Delete
  10. Your garden looks really lovely. Your flowers are so colourful and the fish are doing very well aren't they.

    The star has got to be your rose it is just beautiful, I think it has been a good year for roses ...

    I am sorry to read about your dad's continuing health and hospital problems, sending my good thoughts and wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes, it's a day at a time at the moment x

      Delete
  11. Prayers for your dad. Cancer is a horrible disease. Hope everything gets sorted out soon.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to see that you got your plants identified.
    That is upsetting about your Dad. Prayers continue.
    Your garden is coming along great!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden and pond look wonderful Cheryl!
    So sorry to hear about the continuing trouble with the healthcare system and your Dad. Very frustrating.
    Have a good weekend.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Further to your plant I.D. yes definitely a euphoria and it's the one I had in my previous garden if it flowers and sets seed beware the seed pods explode when fully ripe l reading the seed everywhere. Interesting but one to watch, it's common name is mole spurge

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice haul of potatoes! I tried growing some a couple of years ago and did okay - not great but okay. It doesn't help that I'm gone a chunk in the summer (not that I'm complaining!).

    I hope things go well with your dad. It is a tough time for all involved. The nurses are great though. I hope you are doing okay too. It's a tough time for the 'children' if our parents are suffering. I know I was a mess when Mum had cancer a couple of years ago. She got some not so good news at her check-up a couple of weeks ago and she has to have more tests. The waiting doesn't help.

    Take care of yourself and enjoy that wonderful garden! The roses look stunning. I haven't seen poppies that colour before. Apparently my son who came to house sit while we were away said I had some flowers but something ate them! He found petals on the ground :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ill parents are no fun at all. There is so much to take care of to make sure they are getting the care they need. The garden looks wonderful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the best to your Dad. I was caregiver to both my parents and it is not easy to see loved ones sick. What gorgeous roses. I know they give you happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry to hear about your father. The cancer journey is difficult enough without these administrative errors that cause additional stress.

    Your garden looks great! I'm especially liking the cute purple pom poms!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear a very difficult situation is being made even harder due to errors.
    Your garden is so productive with the flowers and the veg, you do keep busy!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments