Tuesday 17 May 2016

Anne Bronte in Scarborough

Hello lovely people... is anyone still out there, I do hope so!

I want to tell you about our lovely day out on Sunday. We have a very good friend visiting from America, it was a glorious day so we drove up to Scarborough.

We went to see Anne Bronte's grave



It sits in a small graveyard across the road from St Mary's church. The graves there are very weathered and worn. I hadn't realised when we were going in there that the path was actually old graves that had worn smooth over time. I find it a bit sad, it's a reminder how little our time is, I hope the people whose lives they marked had good lives and were loved.

There's a plaque in front of Annes grave so you can read what the original said



She was so young, but has made such a mark in the world. It was so lovely to see the flowers that were placed on her grave.



Across a small road is the church of St Mary c1150




It's only just down the (very steep) road from Scarborough castle and has a fascinating history.



The highlights from the plaque:

c1150 - church of St Mary's built.

1201 - King John visited St Mary's

1400-1600s - 6 sieges against the castle, some which had disastrous consequences for St Mary's.

1645 - Parliamentarians gained access into the church with 2 canon to attack the castle. As a result of exchange of fire with the royalists in the castle "Great mischief was done to St Mary's".

These are what's left of the original walls



Inside the church were too lovely ladies selling refreshments, I had a very 'refreshing' cup of tea then a wander around to see Anne Bronte's corner. Her death certificate is in a frame




next to it is a small explanation





There's also some information about the Bronte family and Anne's death and connection to Scarborough.






It was all so interesting. Really recommend popping in to have a look if you're near the area. The sense of history alone (the castle up the road is 3000 years old) makes it a worthwhile visit and there's always the sandy beach as well as many other attractions to spend a day visiting.

Take care
xxx






16 comments:

  1. It's funny isn't it, I've been visiting Scarborough all my life yet it was only last year that I went to see Anne's grave:-
    http://jo-throughthekeyhole.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/a-day-at-scarborough.html
    I'm glad it hasn't been forgotten like some of the other graves in the churchyard, it's sad to think they're no longer remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post looks like you've had a lovely day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great place to visit, with some fascinating history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Cheryl- I was so happy to see your post! I was wondering if you were ok.....
    Your day out sounds just lovely, and is one I would love to do, but we live a bit too far away to do it in a day. It all looks so interesting - I have a fascination with old churches and gravestones, which are very interesting.
    Have you ever been to the Bronte Parsonage in Haworth? That's another place I would love to visit!
    So glad to see you back!
    Have a lovely week,
    Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful church grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. never been, although we have been to Scarborough a number of times when we lived in England.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to visit there but I'm sure it will never happen. Enjoyed seeing and learning about it through your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a day trip to Scarborough last year and visited the castle and Anne's grave - both were fascinating. Would love to explore more if we're ever over that way again. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fascinating post. Should we ever get to visit the area I'll make time to visit the church for certain.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You gave your visitors a very good time with a slice of local history!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an interesting post, thank you for taking us along.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved learning about the church and surrounding area. would really like to visit England someday as my forefathers came to America from England on my "Stevenson" side of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So interesting, Cheryl, I've not seen this place before. And I do adore all the Brontes and their sad history. Thanks for taking us along.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely place to visit. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how I would have LOVED to have been that friend from America with you! I love the Bronte sisters! It's so good to see you posting again! I have missed you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments