Tuesday 23 June 2015

Trollbead Bracelet

When I was a girl I used to think having a charm bracelet would be so grown up. I loved the idea of collecting the charms on special occasions and for them to represent special things. I never had a charm bracelet and I think as I got older they fell out of fashion really.

For my 40th birthday I wanted something special to mark the occasion, that's when I discovered Trollbeads. I loved the story behind them and the idea of being able to build it up over time with beads that had a personal meaning for me.

'Trollbeads jewellery is made from 18-carat gold, sterling silver, Italian glass, freshwater pearls and precious stones, and is created from a blend of traditional and modern techniques.





You can choose gold or silver or of course both. I went with silver, I have to say partly because of the enormous price difference, but I like silver too.This is what it says on the Trollbead site about the beads

'Trollbeads is an exquisite set of interchangeable jewellery pieces which let you create your own look. At the heart of the collection are the beads themselves. Each piece in the Trollbeads collection has its own little history, taking its inspiration from mythology, astrology, fairy tales, fauna, flora, cultural diversity, and last but certainly not least, the familiar things of everyday living.'


I like the idea that no 2 beads are ever truly the same. While they may be more expensive than similar beads that have come on to the market, it's because they aren't mass produced, each has it's story from it's design on paper to reaching you, I love where the inspiration is taken from.

'The gold and silver Trollbeads are modelled using the so called ‘cire perdu’ or ‘lost wax’ method. This 3,000 year old technique allows for fine details to be reproduced from wax to precious metals. Each glass bead is handmade from red-hot glass in the open flame and no two Trollbeads are ever completely alike.'



Here are some of the beads I've collected over the years

When Andrew bought me the hearts, they were to represent the 4 of us and our love for each other.

Four hearts close together. Hearts of fire, hearts for Christmas, hearts for the one you hold dear


A mermaid. When she was small, Imogen was desperate to be a mermaid, she was my little mermaid.
The little mermaid from Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale. This mythical sea-creature symbolises female mystique and magnetism, which is sometimes fatal to men.



This bead is called Wisdom, something we all hope to grow in
Five precious stones, which together symbolize wisdom. An opal for loyalty, an amethyst for peace of mind, a garnet for devotion and grace, a turquoise for courage and success, and a lapis lazuli for competence.

Teacup... my favourite drink is a cup of Earl grey tea, good for what ails you.

Tea is a good drink. A symbol of care that keeps us warm. This cup is for you - for all the wonderful times we've shared.


A lucky knot
A lucky knot for fortune and happiness.

Kitten, I need a puppy too!

Few creatures are as adorable and playful as kittens, jumping at anything they can get a hold of, their eyes full of eagerness. This is quite the little troublemaker.


Lotus flower. Imogen chose this charm for a birthday present quite a few years ago.

The lotus flower appears in the legends of India and ancient Egypt. It is a symbol of light and enlightenment, forged where the rays of the sun meet the pull of the moon.

Three flowers

Three beautiful flowers, each with its own dichroic glass orb. A new, bold and beautiful combination.

Fairy. I love fairies, who doesn't!

At dawn the fairies sprinkle morning dew on every blade of grass and cornflower, vanishing well before we wake up to the sight of their fairy masterpiece gleaming in the sun.


I have glass beads too between the silver ones and a couple of silver ones recently that aren't actually trollbeads (though still rather lovely)








I'm very lucky and my troll bracelet means an awful lot to me. It's full now really, so I'm not adding any more to it... perhaps I could start a new one for my 50th?



If you're interested in trollbeads you can look them up here, and just to add that I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I just like them!

Take care
xxx


18 comments:

  1. I have a charm bracelet from my teenage years lurking around somewhere.... I think the Trollbeads are gorgeous. My niece started a collection on her 18th. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troll Beads are so beautiful! I have my Mom's charm bracelet she started in the 1970's. I just love looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the fairy was my favourite but now I am not so sure. They are all gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely bracelet....very meaningful. My favorite is the wisdom bead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bracelet is lovely - I've never heard of Trollbeads before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely, I've never heard of Trollbeads but Eleanor's got a Pandora bracelet and charms, which is similar. I had a silver charm bracelet bought for me when I was young but only got about half a dozen charms for it, as you say, they went out of fashion somewhat, but I really like them. It's the sentimentality which has gone in to choosing each charm and what it represents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful bracelet! I love all the charms, particularly the ones with the stones. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so pretty Cheryl, I've never heard of them before either
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post! I have a charm bracelet that I bought in covent garden market years ago and I've been replacing some of the charms with ebay finds so they would all have meaning for me. A work in progress :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made for such interesting reading Cheryl. I had vaguely heard about Trollbeads but this detailed description makes me see them in another light. I like them all of course but most particularly the hearts perhaps for the particular reason your husband brought it for you. Collective family hearts....beautiful!

    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a special bracelet, the beads are lovely and I love the idea that the meanings and associations are unique to you. What a lovely keepsake this is.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are gorgeous Cheryl! I think the wisdom bead is my favourite! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are genuinely wonderful ideas in concerning blogging.
    You have touched some nice factors here. Any way keep up wrinting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for popping by, please stop to say hi I love to read your comments